YC recently moved into a rental house, and we used the long weekend to build some elevated raised garden beds. These are built a little over a foot off the ground so that they won’t kill the grass – perfect for rental houses and apartments! These are very easy to build – took about 30-45 minutes each.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 30-35 3″ screws
- 2: 2″ x 10″ x 8′ boards
- 3: 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards
- 2: 2″ x 10″ x 4′ (garden bed sides)
- 2: 2″ x 10″ x 14.5″ (garden bed sides)
- 4: 2″ x 4″ x 2′ (elevation posts)
- 4: 2″ x 4″ x 4′ (bottom slats)
1. Start by attaching the 2″ x 10″ together as shown.
2. Attach the bottom slats, leaving (very) small gaps in between them for drainage. Use four screws per board (two per each side).
3. Flip it on it’s side, and attach posts to long side. Flip it over and attach posts to the other side.
Fill it up with dirt and compost and plants! You’ll need to add some worms and other organisms since you’re creating a somewhat closed system with these.
You can read the update to this garden here.