A few weeks ago, we made strawberry jam. It’s something I have been wanting to do, and we finally made the time to do it!
Here is the recipe we used:
- 2 lbs of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- Smash the strawberries in a bowl using the bottom of a plastic cup.
- In a saucepan with a heavy bottom, mix the ingredients and stir over medium heat until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and bring to a full, rolling boil and stir often until the temperature reaches ~220*F.
- Fill jars and process in a canner. You can read more about canning here and here.
TIP: To test your jam to see if it is ready to can, put a plate in the freezer for a few minutes. Add about a tablespoon of jam to the plate and return to the freezer for a minute or so. When you pull the plate out, run your finger through the jam. If it doesn’t run back together, your jam is ready!
**Disclaimer: As always, use care and caution to avoid contamination and prevent bacterial growth. For more information, go to the National Center for Home Food Preservation website.