These oatmeal cookies are packed with three things you need when you’re on a hike: calories, fiber, and protein. They’re also pretty solid, so they are the perfect treat to toss in your backpack.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1.5-2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I prefer the Nestle morsels)
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients except the sugar (flour, oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pecans, chocolate chips).
- Melt the butter and cream the butter, vanilla, and sugars.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and beat until well mixed. (I sometimes find it helpful to knead the cookie dough, as the oats can make it somewhat difficult to mix.)
- With your hands, roll together several tablespoons of dough into a ball. Flatten a bit, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
These cookies will store well for several days in a Ziploc baggie.